New Balance EX 900 GPS watch review
A couple of weeks ago, I was given the chance to review something pretty awesome, and awesome it was… its the New Balance NB900 GPS Watch..
The New Balance EX990 GPS Cardio Trainer with Heart Rate has it all!
This watch is designed for daily training sessions for runners or health enthusiast, the EX900 GPS Cardio Trainer combines all the tools you need to help optimize your results. Track your location, distance, speed and heart rate, then upload your data to help you monitor your development and achieve your personal goals (The information provided could rival the high end HRM watches)
So what comes in the box, I did an unboxing video and I thought I sounded terrible cause was under the weather (Still am). So let me list down the items that comes in the box instead of listening to my voice croak
If you notice that the watch comes with a oddly shaped USB cable its in fact a DATA cable to my surprise, This cable not only sync your info to your laptop, desktop but it also acts as a charger for the watch.
The strap mimics the design of Polar but it is very friendly on the chest as some complains of rubbing when using straps. This strap has no problems on me. If you notice the buckle of the strap at the bottom right. Its as easy as plugging in the clasp together, yes its that easy.
New Balance GPS Trainer Features
The New Balance 900 was designed to give you all tools you need to optimize your results. Track your location, distance, speed, pace, calorie burn and heart rate, then upload the data to your PC to help you monitor your development and maintain your personal goals. The advanced GPS component not only tracks speed, distance and pace, but also has the ability to set routes and waypoints.
- GPS navigation records up to 10 routes with 99 waypoints per route and up to 48,170 trackpoints; 3 navigation modes include waypoint, forward and backward
- Compass features a range of 360° with 16 cardinal point bearings, 1° resolution, digital calibration, adjustable declination and a cardinal point indicator
- Accurately monitor speed, distance and pace
- Heart Rate (HR) continuous reading – ECG accurate HRM
- 2.4 GHZ Digitally Coded Chest Strap for no crosstalk (included)
- 5 customizable HR display presets with 3 line multi-view (via PC or watch)
- Auto or custom set HR zones
- Heart Rate Zone Alert
- Chronograph range 100 hours
- Chrono – 1/100 Second Resolution
- 3 Chrono display presets with 3 line multi-view
- 12,000 Laps / Splits
- 120 Run Memory
- Comprehensive Data Recall
- Auto Lap: Automatically takes a lap at user set distance
- 12-Hour or 24-Hour Time Format
- Time / Day / Date
- Dual Time Zone
- 5 Daily Alarms
- Metric or Imperial Unit Display
- EL Backlight / Smart EL Backlight System
- 30M Watch Resistant
- Rechargeable Battery (Watch) via USB Charging Cable (included)
- User Replaceable Battery (Chest Strap Only)
- Comes with easy to use PC Software
The Design of NB900
The design is one of the highlights for me, it surely does not look like a poorly designed watch but rather something of a futuristic look, I like how it protrudes out on the centre and how fat it looks, I am a chunky kinda guy, surprisingly with the built of this watch it does not weigh you down.
If you look at the buttons of the watch it is flushed into the design of the watch which is a plus point for me, cause I love things that are sleek in design (and functional)
Since this is a GPS watch, I have to say that it relatively locks on the satellite pretty fast infact…. VERY FAST comparing to my other watches from G****** and P**** . Infact it could be the fastest and most reliable (but my EndoMondo software in my phone tops it all)
Despite the chunky design, the watch does not bounce or move around when running, its curvatures molds into my wrist perfectly.
This watch comes with a NB software to be installed on all PCs and MAC, When I first installed the software on my laptop, I thought I needed to hire a rocket scientist to help me configure but it turns out that it’s easy to understand and read my workouts with ease. if you notice the bottom right of the top pic. It shows my regular 5k route. at the bottom center it shows my speed and bottom left there is a summary page which is a clear cut on the exercise of the day that I have performed.
This is a good watch to begin with for those who would like to dwell in HRM watches with GPS, for that pricing, you can only get a HRM watch for other brands. As you can see I even brought it to the recent Home Team NS New Balance Real Run to track.
My two cents worth on NB900 GPS Watch
- Awesome GPS response
- Waypoint tracking was good and fun to use
- Watch design was something like a highend watch despite being rubber and plastic
- Buttons are all flushed so it makes it one neat watch
- Whole bunch of tracking software to go along with the watch (like HR, Waypoint, Speed avg, distance..etc..etc..)
- Easy to configure without breaking your head
- Affordable without breaking your bank.
- The battery is rechargeable
- Syncing to the PC was a ease.
- BEST part of this is no battery is needed for the watch.
- Screen background should have been other color beside black as its pretty tough to see
- Buttons are flushed so pretty hard to press (you will get use to it)
- I didn’t like the font (but that’s just my preference)
H2Hub are the main distributors of this cool watch it is only going for a reasonable RRP SGD$399.
for easy reference I have found all of the H2Hub outlets for your convenience
The map word is clickable for ease of navigation to point you to the nearest store. Otherwise you can give them a call
|1.||H2 Hub Bedok North|||||#02-2000, 3011 Bedok Industrial Park E, 489977||– Map||– Tel : 6345 6811|
|2.||H2 Hub Parkway Parade|||||Parkway Parade #B-101, 80 Marine Parade Road, 449269||– Map||– Tel : 6345 6811|
|3.||Bedok North|||||HDB Bedok #01-377, 205 Bedok North Street 1, 460205||– Map||– Tel : 6443 7968|
|4.||H2 Hub Century Square|||||Century Square #01-K7, 2 Tampines Central 5, 529509||– Map||– Tel : 6781 0090|
|5.||H2 Hub West Mall|||||West Mall #01-24, 1 Bukit Batok Central Link, 658713||– Map||– Tel : 6862 5110|
|6.||H2 Hub Ang Mo Kio (AMK) Hub|||||Ang Mo Kio (AMK) Hub #B1-77, 53 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3, 569933||– Map||– Tel : 6481 0800|
|7.||H2 Hub Jurong Point|||||Jurong Point #03-118/119 (JP2), 63 Jurong West Central 3, 648331||– Map||– Tel : 6397 0702|
|8.||H2 Hub Nex|||||Nex #01-K11/K12 , 23 Serangoon Central, 556083||– Map||– Tel : 6634 4900|
|9.||H2 Hub Clementi Mall|||||The Clementi Mall #03-22 , 3155 Commonwealth Avenue West, 129588||– Map||– Tel : 6659 9668|