SINGAPORE’S FIRST EVER POP-UP URBAN BEACH TO DEBUT AT DBS MARINA REGATTA: Press Release
SINGAPORE, 8 May 2015 – For the very first time, it’s happening in Singapore – a pop-up urban beach complete with palm trees, deck chairs, and a beach bar in the heart of Marina Bay.
The initiative is part of the DBS’ commitment to ignite possibilities by the bay via the DBS Marina Regatta. Tapping on the growing trend of urban beaches across the world, DBS aims to transform Singapore’s new financial district and to bring more people down to the bay to watch the 28th SEA Games races. The beach will also serve to present a fun, relaxed yet innovative side of Singapore to SEA Games visitors.
Measuring 50 metres (m) by 50 metres (m), the beach will be located at The Promontory@Marina Bay during the third weekend of the DBS Marina Regatta from 13 to 14 June 2015. The beach will also feature a 25m by 15m pool where a host of activities including stand-up paddling and stand-up yoga will take place.
A Logistical Feat
The task of creating a man-made beach in the heart of one of the world’s leading financial centers will be no mean feat as organisers bring in 28,000kg of sand in an operation that is expected to take up to 300 man-hours.
The sand will be laid onto a protective ground sheet that covers the entire area of the beach. A raised edge will help to contain the sand, and grass lining the perimeter of the beach will ensure that the sand remains within the beach’s boundaries.
DBS Marina Regatta activities on 13-14 June – SEA Games Sailing @ the Urban Beach
- Watch the 28th SEA Games Sailing races from Singapore’s first pop-up urban beach
- Take part in Stand-Up Yoga and Stand-Up Paddling in the pool
- Enjoy food and beverages from trendy eateries at the DBS Food Village by Savour
- Try your hand at fun activities such as zorbing, rock climbing and the flying fox
- Watch remote controlled boat enthusiasts race their crafts in the pool
- Check out the artisanal flea market or the urban art on display