Once there was a little island country. The land of this country was the tiny island itself. The total money in circulation was 2 dollars as there were only two pieces of 1 dollar coins circulating around.
1. There were 3 citizens living on this island country. A owned the land. B and C each owned 1 dollar.
2. B decided to purchase the land from A for 1 dollar. So, now A and C own 1 dollar each while B owned a piece of land that is worth 1 dollar.
The net asset of the country now = 3 dollars.
3. Now C thought that since there is only one piece of land in the country, and land is non producible asset, its value must definitely go up. So, he borrowed 1 dollar from A, and together with his own 1 dollar, he bought the land from B for 2 dollars.
* A has a loan to C of 1 dollar, so his net asset is 1 dollar.
* B sold his land and got 2 dollars, so his net asset is 2 dollars.
* C owned the piece of land worth 2 dollars but with his 1 dollar debt to A, his net residual asset is 1 dollar.
Thus, the net asset of the country = 4 dollars.
4. A saw that the land he once owned has risen in value. He regretted having sold it. Luckily, he has a 1 dollar loan to C. He then borrowed 2 dollars from B and acquired the land back from C for 3 dollars. The payment is by 2 dollars cash (which he borrowed) and cancellation of the 1 dollar loan to C. As a result, A now owned a piece of land that is worth 3 dollars. But since he owed B 2 dollars, his net asset is 1 dollar.
1. B loaned 2 dollars to A. So his net asset is 2 dollars.
2. C now has the 2 coins. His net asset is also 2 dollars.
The net asset of the country = 5 dollars. A bubble is building up.
5. B saw that the value of land kept rising. He also wanted to own the land. So he bought the land from A for 4 dollars. The payment is by borrowing 2 dollars from C, and cancellation of his 2 dollars loan to A.
1. As a result, A has got his debt cleared and he got the 2 coins. His net asset is 2 dollars.
2. B owned a piece of land that is worth 4 dollars, but since he has a debt of 2 dollars with C, his net Asset is 2 dollars.
3. C loaned 2 dollars to B, so his net asset is 2 dollars.
The net asset of the country = 6 dollars; even though, the country has only one piece of land and 2 Dollars in circulation.
• Everybody has made money and everybody felt happy and prosperous.
One day an evil wind blew, and an evil thought came to C’s mind. “Hey, what if the land price stop going up, how could B repay my loan. There is only 2 dollars in circulation, and, I think after all the land that B owns is worth at most only 1 dollar, and no more.” A also thought the same way. Nobody wanted to buy land anymore.
1. So, in the end, A owns the 2 dollar coins, his net asset is 2 dollars.
2. B owed C 2 dollars and the land he owned which he thought worth 4 dollars is now 1 dollar. So his net asset is only 1 dollar.
3. C has a loan of 2 dollars to B. But it is a bad debt. Although his net asset is still 2 dollars, his Heart is palpitating.
4. The net asset of the country = 3 dollars again.
7. So, who has stolen the 3 dollars from the country ? Of course, before the bubble burst B thought his land was worth 4 dollars. Actually, right before the collapse, the net asset of the country was 6 dollars on paper. B’s net asset is still 2 dollars, his heart is palpitating.
1. B had no choice but to declare bankruptcy. C as to relinquish his 2 dollars bad debt to B, but in return he acquired the land which is worth 1 dollar now.
2. A owns the 2 coins, his net asset is 2 dollars.
3. B is bankrupt, his net asset is 0 dollar. ( he lost everything )
4. C got no choice but end up with a land worth only 1 dollar
5. The net asset of the country = 3 dollars.
************ **End of the story; BUT ************ ********* ******
There is however a redistribution of wealth.
A is the winner, B is the loser, C is lucky that he is spared.
A few points worth noting –
1. When a bubble is building up, the debt of individuals to one another in a country is also building up.
2. This story of the island is a closed system whereby there is no other country and hence no foreign debt. The worth of the asset can only be calculated using the island’s own currency. Hence, there is no net loss.
3. An over-damped system is assumed when the bubble burst, meaning the land’s value did not go down to below 1 dollar.
4. When the bubble burst, the fellow with cash is the winner. The fellows having the land or extending loan to others are the losers. The asset could shrink or in worst case, they go bankrupt.
5. If there is another citizen D either holding a dollar or another piece of land but refrains from taking part in the game, he will neither win nor lose. But he will see the value of his money or land go up and down like a see saw.
6. When the bubble was in the growing phase, everybody made money.
7. If you are smart and know that you are living in a growing bubble, it is worthwhile to borrow money (like A ) and take part in the game. But you must know when you should change everything back to cash.
8. As in the case of land, the above phenomenon applies to stocks as well.
9. The actual worth of land or stocks depend largely on psychology”
Suddenly seeing Ruby Payne’s framework for hidden rules popping up in the socmed, this framework was her work back in the 2013 depicting the socioeconomic of those in the said classes but is it relevant in today society what do you feel about this?
lemme know your thought
Her blog can be found here at AHA Process
Do you know what most people like about most Singapore?
Stability, being one, but really for me it’s about the safety and community caring that enables one to feel really safe here in this little red dot.
I started training for my runs again and last week after my run, I went to the nearest kids playground hidden in the corner of my block, I was just resting after my sit-up sets and before I knew it, this lady on her PMD with her child from a far honking at me. My eyes was still closed at that moment and she shouted from a distance “are you ok?”
This to me made me really happy to be in such a good community that even so I was hidden right smack at the kids playground, some good Samaritan will be looking out for you.
To me this was the best feeling. Knowing that you will be safe no matter where you go. I do not say this only cause I’ve experience this for the first time. My sister and I had a cycling accident and the public came to us like angels from every corner. They helped called the ambulance and another good Samaritan helped me with our bikes and drove me back home.
I am really really thankful for all your help.
I want to say thank you to Melvin from Garcia bikes for helping me bring our bikes home even though you were on the other side of the road. I really thank you.
So no matter where in Singapore, I believe there will always be someone looking out for you.
If you are one of the participants of Season 4 National Steps Challenge, Season 5 has just kicked off with a bang, and one thing I like about HPB is that they gave out trackers for free too all their participants.
Come Season 5 challengers, they will be in for a treat, It is an upgraded version of the AXTRO Fit and the color on the screen is not it’s only best feature.
Read on if you are interested and also to find out how to use it and I pitted it’s accuracy with my Garmin FR25.
AXTRO Fit 2 Outlook
The watch is 1.7cm in width and only weighs 30gm, the size surely downsized from the first model and now you are able to change the watch face from digital to analogue. Your style your life.
Feature 1: Charger and Battery Life
I have to tell you this new and improved version is really amazing, I honestly, had issues with the past model with it’s charging dongle as pulling out the rubber was a mess. For a grown guy to be using full strength to pull and expose the dongle was shameful for me.
The Axtro Fit 2 stills pulls out just that there is no USB there to charge) so don’t bother with it. Luckily this time round they are smart enough to provide a magnetic usb charger that magnetically clips on to your watch.
Downside is, you better not lose it and you have to bring it along if you are going for a 7 day trip, stated on their website. I can’t really tell how long the AXTRO Fit 2 will last but think about it, the screen will only turn on with a flick of the wrist.
I will update you guys after 7 days of usage to see where my battery is at. Charging it up takes only about 1hr45mins, but that was straight from the box.
update: Battery lasted more than 7 days, I would give it about 8 to 9 days depending on usage.
Feature 2: Workout Mode
I love this new feature and it makes me feel that I have a very expensive tech on my wrist. Once you activate the “workout mode” you get to see data such as your
- Heart Rate (HR)
- Steps Taken
Pro Tip: I am a person that don’t like too much data. All I need is HR to monitor my HR Zone, and Time taken after start. So AXTRO Fit 2 could maybe follow me to my 5k and 10k event.
Using Workout Mode doesn’t end there, when your HR goes above a certain limit, it will prompt you with a buzz. I notice when mine was in the 140 – 150 bpm it stated – MOD, and when I was pushing it a little too hard 151 – 170 bpm it is stated – VIG (vigorous) and it has a reminder tell you to take it easy. I like that, as it sets as a reminder to take it easy. Similar to Garmin’s Alert feature.
Speaking of Alert it also has this reminder to “Get Up and Move” if you are being too sedentary for a while.
I bet most of you guys want to know about the HR accuracy, as this OEM Tracker can’t be that good, well surprise surprise, it is that good, I pitted it with the Garmin FR25 side by side and guess what, it is only off by 1 beat up or down. (picture shown are before I took it out to test)
My 2cents Worth
- Great light watch and will not weigh your wrist down,
- The workout mode feature was a plus over the previous model
- Battery Life is amazing
- Too slim for a guys hand. Just my preference for chunky
- The wristband material is not soft enough (but hey for price point can’t complain)
- The screen just turns off to fast, would be better if it was 5 secs instead of 3 secs.
If you want to purchase one of these, it is only going for $19 from AXTRO SPORTS , I do recommend buying it and upgrading it form the previous model cause the “Workout Mode”, make’s it all so worth it.
If you have any questions or would like to know more, do drop me a comment below or Twitter at @isaac976.
Thank you for reading and as I always say, See you at the finish line and have a great day.
It just seem like a few months ago that the nation collected the tracker for National Steps Challenge and now it’s already in Season 5.
Yes, it is going to be filled with new programme features and activities and I really like how, Health Promotion Board (HPB) is doing so. Season 5 is going to take place on starting TODAY till 30 April 2020.
For those that have signed up for Season 5 and have not received an heart-rate monitoring fitness tracker during Season 4, you will be receiving a shiny new colored fitness tracker (Axtro Fit 2) or you can purchase from their physical retail store. Review of that tracker vs my Garmin FR25 coming up. Watch this space
AXTRO Sports (By JMD Pacific Pte Ltd) 3 Coleman Street, #02-22, Peninsular Shopping Centre, Singapore 179804 *only from 1st Oct 2019*
Just so you know there is a Pokemon themed feel good kiosk located at only specific locations and you will stand to walk away with an exclusive Feel-good kit that includes Pokémon-themed sticker set, $2 NTUC FairPrice e-Voucher and a motivational card! Available on a first come, first served, while stocks last basis Just so you know there is a Pokemon themed feel good kiosk located at only specific locations and you will stand to walk away with an exclusive Feel-good kit that includes. (so please check the locations below)
|DATE / TIME||VENUE|
|20 — 22 Sep |
12.00pm to 8.00pm
Basement Level 2, Plaza
|24 — 26 Sep |
12.00pm to 8.00pm
|Bedok Mall |
Basement Level 2, MRT Linkway
|4 — 6 Oct |
12.00pm to 8.00pm
|Lot One |
Level 1, Atrium
|11 — 13. Oct |
12.00pm to 8.00pm
|Ang Mo Kio Hub |
Level 3, Opp Foodfare
So if you are asking yourself if you are eligible to participate? yes you can if you a member of the public with a valid NRIC/FIN number aged at least 17 years old and above.
SINGAPORE – February 21, 2019 — Astell&Kern, a global leader in portable high-resolution audio players and accessories, announces a new closed-back headphone, the AK T5p 2nd Generation, produced in partnership with world-famous headphone manufacturer Beyerdynamic.
AK T5p 2nd Generation headphone, is the latest collaboration between Beyerdynamic, the renowned German manufacturer with almost a century of headphone making heritage, and Astell&Kern, market leader in premium portable music players. Beyerdynamic has tuned the AK T5p 2nd Generation for Astell&Kern’s portable players, to deliver the best-in-class details, peerless clarity across all frequencies, and an excellent bass reinforcement.
The AK T5p uses Beyerdynamic’s Tesla Technology™ transducers for high efficiency and low impedance. The headphones comes with specially designed, audiophile-grade detachable cable. Each cable is made of four 99.8% pure silver cables and four OCC copper cables braided together. It is designed to present the exact characteristics of the headphone’s Tesla Technology™ drivers, with balanced and natural sound. The cable is terminated in a 2.5mm 4-pole balanced connector to match the balanced headphone out on Astell&Kern players. A 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and a quarter-inch connection adaptor are also included. No more sharp highs or too much bass, this unique cable bring perfect balance to your music listening experience.
Pricing and Availability
AK T5p 2nd Generation is available in Singapore at a recommended retail price (RRP) of S$1,799 (including GST) at authorized retailers including AV One, Connect IT, E1 Personal Audio, Jaben, Music Sanctuary, Stereo Electronics, and Treoo.com.
Only 4 days away and it will be the Chinese Lunar New Year, this year is the Boar but most will use the year of the Pig as it is more commercialized and cuter. Sadly Peppa Pig is bearing the wrath of all the sales of this CNY
Going back 30 years, I recall those days were truly exciting days for all the young kids and even adult, the festive season meant “new clothes, lots of food and meeting relatives and we children were allowed to “GAMBLE”
somehow all this feeling is gone, and even the kids these days do not have this culture of habit, not sure what has shifted (ignorant of technology) this or caused this, but It’s really sad to say the festive mood is now just another day. Do you feel this too? or maybe it is just me?
No doubt the feeling and atmosphere has gone, but these 5 superstitions is here to stay for me, if you have any others do share with me.
- Opening of Windows, Doors and literally turning on all the lights in the house, the old adage saying is “Gone with the old, in with the new! At the stroke of midnight on Chinese New Year Eve, all the windows and doors should be opened to allow the “old year” to get out for the fresh New Year to be in.
- Staying up all night, this is where we kids get to stay up the whole night into the morning and yes like 2 to 3 am because it will be a trip to the temple to pray for our new year. but staying up the eve of Chinese New Year to the actual Chu Yi is said to bring longevity to your parents – the later you stay up, the longer your parents will live. I kept this tradition till today.
- New Clothes is a must, and as kids, we always look forward to CNY because it is the time we get to shop for new clothes not only 1 but 3 pcs, the saying goes that we have to usher in the new year with new clothes (some say even underwear)
- No Washing of Hair till the 2nd day, ok seriously I hated this one because when we’re young, from the eve till the first day we would go all our playing with our relatives and friends, like really all out screaming and running, with fireworks. and even spilt soda all over, and coming back home mom will say NO WASHING of hair. So why is this so? ” “Head” is associated with “beginning” in Chinese. So you are advised not to wash/cut your hair on the first 2 days of the New Year if you want a good start.
- Lastly no.5 could be the happiest for us kids, cause we get to mess up the house like dropping snacks or firecrackers all over the porch and yet there will be NO SWEEPING on the 1st day because sweeping meant sweeping out the luck and fortune.
Anyway thanks for reading and I do hope I will find time to update my content more often than not, and thank you for supporting me all these while and reading all my articles and thoughts.
WISHING ALL MY READERS A HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR, MAY YOUR YEAR BE FILLED WITH ABUNDANCE OF LOVE, WEALTH and more importantly HEALTH!