Boston Marathon Qualifying Time
Boston Marathon has got to be the most coveted run in every runners mind, the qualifying time is like a moving target and many hopefuls have been dashed by it, but I would say it is more of rather a motivation to peak runners ability in the running society. Just so you know ….
Registration for the 2020 Boston Marathon will opened up on Monday, September 9, 2019 at 10 a.m. and closes on September 18.
- As in previous years, runners with the fastest times get to register first. On September 17, the BAA announced on Twitter that there will be a cutoff for the 2020 race.
- The 2020 race will take place on April 20. Registration will take place at baa.org.
In order to be accepted into the 2020 race, which will be held on April 20, runners had to be at least 1 minute and 39 seconds faster than their qualifying standard, Boston Athletic Association (BAA) officials said on Wednesday.
So far, 24,127 runners have been accepted into the 2020 race. That left 3,161 runners, out of 27,288 who applied, on the sidelines, even though they did achieve the posted standards for their age and gender.
Runners were learning of their registration status by email.
The field for Boston grew this year to 31,500 runners. More than 80 percent of those are time qualifiers. The rest of the field gains entry by running for charities or through a different connection to the race.
Registration for Boston happens over a two-week period, with fastest runners able to register during the first week, which was September 9 through 13. Runners who bettered their qualifying standard by more than 20 minutes had the first crack at registration, followed by those who were 10 minutes faster, followed by those who were 5 minutes faster. The BAA has used the rolling registration system since 2012
For the 2019 race, the cutoff time was 4:52, and 7,384 runners were denied entry. That time jumped more than a minute from what was needed for the 2018 race: a time 3:23 faster than the qualifying standard, when 5,062 runners were turned away. The last year that all qualifiers were able to register was 2013.
The qualifier breakdown for the 2020 race is:
- 4,051 qualifiers who were 20:00 or more faster than their standard.
- 6,772 qualifiers who were 10:00 or more faster than their standard.
- 6,948 qualifiers who were 5:00 or more faster than their standard.
- 5,885 qualifiers who were 1:39–4:59 under their standard.
- 471 qualifiers with an active streak of at least 10 years.